Program Director Job Description 1
Program Director Job Description as of 2/14/2014
Clear Channel Communications, Inc. is the world’s largest radio and outdoor advertising company with leading
market positions in each of its two business segments: Media & Entertainment and Outdoor. Clear Channel is
also one of the most innovative media players in the market – a leader in the converging media space, having
developed best-in-class integrated media offers (e.g. Radio/Web) and having built significant positions in the
HD arena. In July 2008, the Company announced the completion of a merger with an indirect wholly owned
subsidiary of CC Media Holdings, Inc., a corporation formed by a private equity group co-led by Bain Capital
Partners, LLC, and THL Partners, L.P.
The Program Director position is a leadership and operations role responsible for leading and managing all
aspects of a radio station’s on air experience, including talent, content, programming, and online presence. A
successful Program Director will review and decision which programs and commercials will be broadcast,
determine music play lists, and schedule programming. The Program Director identifies, recruits, and coaches
on air talent with the goal of growing audience share, ratings, and revenue. The Program Director also partners
with the sales and programming staff to ensure appropriate programming fit for client needs, and to create
talent& radio station marketing, promotion, and image campaigns. The Program Director reports to an
· Plan and oversee the on-air experience of the station, including tone, programming, production, sound&
theme, website, online presence, and social media.
· Plan each day's radio programming and provide the radio DJ / audio engineer direction on content.
· Direct and monitor station’s programming and activities in conformance with FCC rules and regulations,
company policy and applicable federal, state, and local laws.
· Evaluate programming available from distributors, syndicators, and independent producers to recommend
acquisitions for broadcast.
· Review and approve all commercial and paid programming content.
· Attract and grow audience share, ratings, and revenue.
· Ensure that ratings are calculated, and advertisers are satisfied.
· Work with sales team to ensure appropriate programming fit for the client, station, and audience.
· Coordinate with programming and sales staff to plan and execute marketing, promotions, events, and
· Identify, recruit, manage, and coach on air talent, producers, news directors, and reporters (eg, frequent
listening/aircheck sessions with on air talent).
· Schedule staff for on-air shifts, remotes, and appearances.
· Ensure staff has taken/passed/maintained all company programs, plans, and training (RBI, Payola/Plugola).
· Prepare and manage Programming Department budget on a yearly, quarterly, and monthly basis.
· Handle all payables according to company policy and paid in a prompt fashion.
· Protect the station license.
Program Director Job Description 2
REQUIRED SKILLS/EDUCATION & CERTIFICATION
· Bachelor's degree, with an emphasis on broadcasting, communications, and journalism. Marketing and
sales experience preferred.
· Extensive knowledge of FCC broadcast rules and regulations.
· Knowledge of federal, state and local contesting rules and regulations.
· Experience using tools to gather & analyze ratings data and then make business decisions based on the
analysis (eg, PD Advantage, avg daily QUUM, Feature Tracker, etc.).
· Extensive knowledge of Arbitron PPM and/or Diary data analysis.
· Working knowledge of RCS products including GSelector, Nexgen and Newsgen.
· Knowledge and appreciation of diverse music genres, excellent on-air performance, familiarity with radio
· Prior experience directing and managing a team.
· Sound judgment and quality decision making skills.
· Ability to multi-task and capable of working with specific deadlines, highly organized, and comfortable
· Flexible, creative, and innovative in using technology to deepen listener relationships.
· Ability to manage and motivate staff, in addition to working well as a member of a team (including
advertising and marketing managers).
· Ability to think both tactically and strategically.
· Ability to work independently and collaboratively with others.
· Superior communications skills, both written and verbal.
· Entrepreneurial and assertive in meeting goals.
· Ability to set expectations with others and manage performance.
· Ability to provide honest coaching and adjust communications style based on audience needs; Strong
· Ability to influence others, inspire innovation, and ensure a customer/client focus.
· Prior experience as a broadcaster, either in news, sports, or as a DJ preferred.
· Prior experience as a Program Director or Assistant Program Director preferred.
Clear Channel is an equal opportunity employer and will not tolerate discrimination in employment on the
basis of race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, ethnicity,
national origin, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected
classification or status.
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE POSITION AVAILABLE:
*Full Time Sales
*Background in sales preferred
*Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, ESPP, 401K, EAP, Paid Vacation and Sick Leave.
Clear Channel Communications of Waco is looking for ambitious, Creative, self driven individuals to assist us in obtaining new partnersto do business with Waco’s leading radio stations. You’ll meet new people, participate in exciting promotions, and your income potential is limited only by the amount of time and effort you are willing to invest to succeed. But most of all, you’ll love your job because radio is fun!
Print out application below and drop off or mail to Clear Channel Radio in Waco at 314 West State HI 6 (next to Providence Hospital)
View and Print Application Document
Clear Channel Website Recruitment Alert
If your organization distributes information about employment opportunities to job seekers or refers job seekers to employers, and would like to receive job vacancy notices for Clear Channel , please provide Clear Channel with the name, mailing address, email address (if applicable), telephone number, fax number and contact person and identify the category or categories of vacancies for which you would like information specified to the following person at Clear Channel Radio:
Clear Channel Communications | Human Resources
314 W. State HWY 6 Waco, Texas 76712
It is the policy of Clear Channel to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law, in all personnel actions.
Clear Channel Radio is an Equal Opportunity Employer